Quiz: Which foods have the most sugar?
The average American eats about 23 teaspoons of sugar a day — more than twice the recommended amount — and the foods with the most sugar aren’t always cookies and cupcakes.
The American Heart Association recommends women eat about 6 teaspoons of sugar and men eat about 9 tablespoons of sugar or less everyday.
The average can of non-diet pop has 8 teaspoons of sugar in it.
Eating too much sugar can lead to weight gain, obesity, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes and heart disease.
Eating less sugar can be difficult though. Sure, you could cut out soda and ice cream, but it’s much harder to cut out sugar in foods you don’t typically think of as sweet. Test your knowledge of sugary foods by taking the quiz below.
The following amounts are averages of popular brands:
- Ketchup — 8 grams of sugar per 2 tablespoons
- Ranch dressing — 0.7 grams sugar per 2 tablespoons
- BBQ sauce — 14 grams sugar per 2 tablespoons
- Mustard — No added sugar
- Low-fat yogurt — 47 grams per cup
- Granola — 26.4 grams per cup
- Chocolate pudding — 34 grams per cup
- Honey Nut Oat Os — 9.6 grams per cup
- Lemon iced tea — 46 grams in 16 ounces
- Chocolate milk — 58 grams in 16 ounces
- Sports drink —27.2 grams in 16 ounces
- Orange juice — 48 grams in 16 ounces
- Green soda — 77 grams in 20 ounces
- Cola — 65 grams in 20 ounces
- Clear soda — 64 grams in 20 ounces
- Root beer — 74 grams in 20 ounces
Food that isn’t sweet
- Whole wheat bread — 6 grams per 100 grams
- Tomato sauce — 8 grams per 100 grams
- Pretzels — 2.8 grams per 100 grams
- Beef jerky — 9 grams per 100 grams
Want to do more to become more heart healthy? Find out how at Barbecue with Brey on Sept. 22, sponsored by Mike Brey’s Men of Heart. Enjoy delicious food from local restaurants, meet Notre Dame men’s basketball coach Mike Brey and see local band Vyagra Falls perform. Tickets are $50 and proceeds go to the American Heart Association. You can buy tickets on ABC57.com.