Kids Take Over The Kitchen Day: 4 recipes to make with your kids
You’re never too young to learn how to cook.
Tuesday, Sept. 13, is National Kids Take Over The Kitchen Day, a day where kids are empowered to be the chef and decision-maker for dinner.
The day is sponsored by the Young Chefs Academy, whose goal is “to teach children the importance and value of cooking in a safe setting that encourages discovery and creativity.”
That’s a mission we can get behind.
We’ve got a few simple recipes the kids can help make in the kitchen, and they become a favorite of yours, too.
PEANUT BUTTER BANANA QUESADILLAS
From Budget Bytes
Total time: 10 minutes
- One 8-inch whole wheat tortilla
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1/2 medium banana, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Flatten a tortilla and spread the peanut butter over the entire surface.
- Arrange the banana slices over half of the tortilla. Sprinkle chocolate chips over the banana slices and then fold the tortilla in half.
- In a skillet, cook the quesadilla in over medium-low heat, until golden brown and crispy on both sides.
YOGURT, DILL AND WALNUT DIP
From Real Simple
Total time: 5 minutes
Servings: 6 to 8
- 2 cups Greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, plus more for topping
- 1/4 cup chopped dill, plus more for topping
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients and stir.
- Top with additional chopped dill and walnuts.
- Serve with fresh veggies.
LADY BUG POPS
These popsicles take almost no time to make (they take time to chill, though) and gives kids a healthier and unique treat to enjoy.
From Food Network
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 5 hours and 30 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
- 1 pound medium strawberries, hulled and quartered (about 4 cups)
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 1/2 a large lemon)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup blueberries(4 ounces)
- Lollipop sticks
- In a blender, puree the strawberries, orange juice, lemon juice, and honey together until smooth. Into an ice cub tray, pour the mixture.
- Place blueberries in each cube cup. Freeze for an 1 hour.
- Insert a lollipop stick into each cup and freeze another 4 to 5 hours, until firm.
- Twist the ice cube trays to remove the ice pops and serve.
PASTA SALAD SKEWERS
- Cherry tomatoes
- Bell peppers, squared
In a sauce pan on the stove, cook the tortellini.
On each skewer, alternate tortellini, tomatoes, peppers and basil as desired.