3 easy back to school lunch box meals
Many students in Michiana are already heading back to school, and that means fixing lunches for the kiddos.
- RELATED: No-bake Jell-O candy melts are a great treat for your kid’s lunch box
- RELATED: 3 balanced breakfasts to start the school year off right
It can get boring eating the same meal every day, so we’ve got a few ideas for you to add some creativity to your kids lunches without a bunch of work.
We know you don’t always have a lot of time to cook, so many of these meals can be made quickly or made in bulk and saved for later in the week when you run out of time.
Total time: 5 minutes
Serving size: 8 rolls
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons jelly, jam or preserve
- 2 slices of bread
- Cut the crust from each slice of bread, and flatten each slice out.
- On each bread slice, spread a tablespoon of peanut butter and your jelly, jam or preserve of choice.
- Roll each slice into a tight spiral, and cut into four pieces.
From Food Network
Total time: 10 minutes
Servings: 8 slices
- Four 10-inch flour tortillas
- 1 cup grated cheese, sharp Cheddar or Mexican blend
- 4 tablespoons butter
- On a cookie sheet, lay out the tortillas.
- Sprinkle some cheese on one half of each tortilla being careful not to getting too close to the edge.
- Fold the tortillas in half over the cheese to make a half-moon.
- In a skillet over low heat, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter.
- Add the tortilla to the skillet and cook until it is lightly brown, about 2 minutes.
- Flip the tortilla over and brown, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the skillet and transfer to individual plates or a large platter.
- Repeat with remaining butter and tortillas.
- Refrigerate or freeze to serve later.
From Today’s Parent
Total time: 20 minutes
Serving size: 4
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/8 teaspoon each salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut chicken into 1/2 inch strips.
- In a medium bowl, place the chicken strips and drizzle with oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- In a resealable bag, combine the garlic powder and coconut and shake to mix well.
- In batches, place the chicken strips in the bag, close and shake to coat.
- Remove chicken from the bag and place on the baking tray. Repeat with remaining chicken strips.
- Bake until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through, turning halfway through, about 15 to 20 min.
- In a separate bowl, while the chicken is baking, combine the sour cream, lime zest, juice and honey.