Easy Eats: Spice up your summer dinner with simple stuffed sweet potatoes
I bought a bag of organic sweet potatoes a few weeks ago to roast some for side dishes, but I put the remainder in a dark, cool place and forgot about them.
- RELATED: Stick to your 21 Day Fix with a turkey meatball sub, May 24, 2016
Stuffed potato skins are one of my favorite combinations, so I mixed up a few simple ingredients to make these leftover sweet potatoes tasty and healthy.
STUFFED SWEET POTATOES
Total time: 30 minutes
Servings: 6 skins
• 3 medium sweet potatoes
• Half of one 15-ounce can of corn, drained
• Half of one 15-ounce can of black beans, drained and washed
• 3 ounces of cream cheese
• 3 tablespoons light sour cream
• 1/2 cup shredded fresh mozzarella, and more for topping
• Parsley, onion powder, salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the oven to 400 F.
2. Poke holes in the sweet potatoes.
3. In the microwave, cook sweet potatoes for 9 minutes, flipping halfway through.
4. In a bowl, mix all the other ingredients together while the sweet potatoes are baking.
5. Split the baked sweet potatoes in half and scoop out the insides and add to the mixture.
6. Fill the empty skins with the creamy black bean and corn mixture. Top with mozzarella.
7. Bake in the oven for 10 to 14 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
Haley Church is a Mishawaka resident and writes for Flavor 574, follow her on Instagram @HaleyDrewChurch.