Since I’ve been on the 21 Day Fix, I’ve been eating a lot of lean meats: turkey, chicken and fish. And to be honest, by day 20 I was feeling a little burnt out.
- RELATED: Surviving on the 21 Day Fix eating plan, May 6. 2016.
Luckily, I realized I could make a few healthy swaps to turn plain ground turkey into a flavorful sub.
TURKEY MEATBALL SUB
Total time: 35 minutes
Servings: 16 medium-sized meatballs
• 1 pound lean ground turkey
• 2 eggs
• 1/3 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
• 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
• 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
• 2 teaspoons garlic powder
• 1 tablespoon parsley
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 10 ounces of a marinara sauce of your choice
• Whole wheat buns
• Shredded mozzarella for topping
1. Preheat oven to 425 F.
2. In a large bowl, mix the ground turkey with the eggs, breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, milk and seasonings.
3. Form into round balls, about two inches thick.
4. On a greased baking sheet, evenly space the meatballs.
5. Bake in the oven for 16 to 18 minutes.
6. While the meatballs are cooking, spread the marinara on toasted whole wheat buns.
7. Once the meatballs are done, place two to three on each bun and top with more marinara.
8. Top with mozzarella and serve warm.
For you 21 Day fixers, one bun split in half, plus five meatballs and marinara equals to 2 yellow, 2 red, and 1/2 green. Use the blue container to measure out cheese for additional topping.
Haley Church is a Mishawaka resident who writes for Flavor 574. Follow her on Instagram, @HaleyDrewChurch.