What could be better than gooey, cheesy mac and cheese? It’s a meal adults and kids alike can enjoy. Put down the box with Spongebob-shaped noodles (my favorite kind) and go grab the ingredients to make this Panera-style mac and cheese from Food, Folks and Fun for a classy update to the classic lunch.
- 1 package rigati pasta (16 ounces)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 6 slices white American cheese
- 8-ounces extra-sharp white Vermont cheese
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
1. Prepare pasta according to package directions.
2. In a sauce pan, melt butter over low heat. Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute, whisking constantly.
3. Gradually whisk in milk. Cook over medium heat, whisking until mixture thickens and bubbles. Remove from heat.
4. Add cheeses, mustard, salt and hot sauce, stirring until cheese melts and sauce is smooth.
5. Stir in pasta and cook over medium heat for 1 minute (or until thoroughly heated). Serve immediately.