Give pizza night a new twist by making colorful and delicious pepperoni roses
Monday nights are for creativity. Or maybe, you’re like me and just have leftover pepperonis wasting away in your fridge.
Pinterest gave me the inspiration I needed to take dinner from a boring pizza night to an Italian bouquet.
Total time start to finish: 1 hour
Makes: 6 pepperoni roses
- 30 pepperoni
- A marinara sauce of your choice
- Ten 1/2-inch slices of thin pepper jack cheese
- Pizza dough or puff pastry sheet
- A muffin pan
Homemade dough (optional)
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cups water
- If you’re crunched for time, I recommend using a puff pastry sheet that you can buy in any frozen foods section. But, to keep it completely homemade, combine the ingredients for dough listed above.
- Roll out your dough on a lightly floured surface into a 1/4-inch thick rectangle. Use a pizza cutter to slice into six even strips, about 2 inches wide and 6 inches long.
- Use a spoon to spread a thin layer of marinara on the strips. Each strip should get 5 or 6 pepperoni placed halfway on, and two slices of pepper jack cheese.
- Fold up the bottom of the strip to secure the contents while taking one end of the strip into a spiral roll.
- Place each “rose” into a greased muffin pan. Bake at 300 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes, or when the dough is golden brown.
- Serve alone as an appetizer, or accompany with a light pasta or salad.
I am a firm believer that every oven is different and you should check on your food periodically to make sure it is cooking properly.