Monday nights are for creativity. Or maybe, you’re like me and just have leftover pepperonis wasting away in your fridge.
Pinterest gave me the inspiration I needed to take dinner from a boring pizza night to an Italian bouquet.
Total time start to finish: 1 hour
Makes: 6 pepperoni roses
- 30 pepperoni
- A marinara sauce of your choice
- Ten 1/2-inch slices of thin pepper jack cheese
- Pizza dough or puff pastry sheet
- A muffin pan
Homemade dough (optional)
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cups water
- If you’re crunched for time, I recommend using a puff pastry sheet that you can buy in any frozen foods section. But, to keep it completely homemade, combine the ingredients for dough listed above.
- Roll out your dough on a lightly floured surface into a 1/4-inch thick rectangle. Use a pizza cutter to slice into six even strips, about 2 inches wide and 6 inches long.
- Use a spoon to spread a thin layer of marinara on the strips. Each strip should get 5 or 6 pepperoni placed halfway on, and two slices of pepper jack cheese.
- Fold up the bottom of the strip to secure the contents while taking one end of the strip into a spiral roll.
- Place each “rose” into a greased muffin pan. Bake at 300 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes, or when the dough is golden brown.
- Serve alone as an appetizer, or accompany with a light pasta or salad.
I am a firm believer that every oven is different and you should check on your food periodically to make sure it is cooking properly.