The Oscars are here, so we at Flavor 574 sat down to come up with a meal plan for your Oscar watch party. Enjoy all of these recipes together for a complete Oscar menu, or pick and choose your favorites (or who you want to win) and let the rest be honored that they even got a nomination.
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
It turns out that the bread Daisy Ridley’s character, Rey, makes in the new Star Wars film wasn’t CGI. You can make this small dish in less than a minute. The matcha powder in this recipe gives the bread a distinct green coloring.
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons cake flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon matcha powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place the oil in a mug and swirl around to grease the inside.
- Add the cake flour, sugar, matcha powder, baking powder and salt into the mug, stirring together.
- Pour in the milk and vanilla, then cook in the microwave on high for 45 seconds.
- Let cool slightly and serve.
Bridge of Spies
The Cold War may be over, but this traditional Soviet cuisine soldiers on. This is the People’s soup, comrade. If you’re feeling extra bourgeois, add two slices of mushroom.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Total time: 2 hours
Serving: 8 to 10
- 1 pound beef: sirloin, stew meat, or whatever kind of beef you like
- 1 Tbsp salt + more to taste
- 2 large or 3 medium beets, washed, peeled and grated
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp tomato sauce, or paste (or 3 Tbsp ketchup)
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 carrots, grated
- 2 large or 3 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced into bite-sized pieces
- ½ head of small cabbage, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley + more for garnish
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- Garnish: Sour cream and fresh sprigs of parsley or dill.
- Wash meat in cold water, cut into 1″ pieces and and place in a large soup pot with 14 cups cold water and 1 Tbsp salt. Bring it to a boil and remove the foam crud as soon as it boils (if you wait, it will be hard to get rid of the crud as it integrates into the broth and you’d have to strain it later). Reduce heat, partially cover and simmer 45 minutes – 1 hr, periodically skimming off any crud that rises to the top.
- Grate beets on the large grater holes (a food processor works amazingly well). Place them in a large heavy-bottom skillet with 4 Tbsp olive oil and 1 Tbsp vinegar and saute for 5 minutes, then reduce heat to med/low and add 1 Tbsp sugar and 2 Tbsp tomato sauce Mix thoroughly and saute until starting to soften, stirring occasionally (about 10 min). Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same skillet (no need to wash it), Saute onion in 1 Tbsp butter for 2 min. Add grated carrot and sautee another 5 min or until softened, adding more oil if it seems too dry.
- Once the meat has been cooking at least 45 min, place sliced potatoes into the soup pot and cook 10 min, then add cabbage, sauteed beets, onion & carrot, and chopped tomatoes. Cook another 10 minutes or until potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork.
- Add 2 bay leaves, ¼ tsp pepper, and more salt to taste (I added another ½ tsp salt).
- Chop parsley and pressed garlic then stir them into the soup pot, immediately cover and remove from heat. Let the pot rest covered for 20 minutes for the flavors to meld.
Complement your Oscars meal with a Parmesan roasted potatoes. You may not be able to purchase any that have been grown on Martian soil — or even in outer space — but good ’ole fashioned Earth potatoes should do ya just fine.
- 3 pounds baby Yukon Gold potatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 4 ounces finely grated Parmesan
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Place a rack in upper third of oven; preheat to 400°F.
- Toss potatoes and oil in a large bowl; season with salt and pepper.
- Place potatoes, cut side up, on a wire rack set inside a rimmed baking sheet; reserve bowl.
- Roast until golden brown and cooked through, 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer to bowl; toss with Parmesan.
- Return potatoes to rack and roast until Parmesan is brown and crisp, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Toss potatoes in same bowl with parsley, lemon juice, and red pepper flakes. Top with lemon zest just before serving.
Help Hugh Glass get a small taste of revenge by adding this dry rub to your choice of cut meat. If you find bear meat, let us know…
Prep time: 15 minutes
- 1/2 cup paprika
- 3 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- 5 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons onion powder
- 6 tablespoons salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 1/2 tablespoons dried thyme
- In a medium bowl, combine the paprika, cayenne pepper, ground black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, oregano, and thyme.
- Mix well, and store in a cool, dry place in an airtight container.
Mad Max: Fury Road
Dirt, as far as the eye can see. Finish up your Oscar-themed party by honoring the travels of Imperator Furiosa and Mad Max as they raced through the dusty wastelands toward freedom.
Servings: 10 to 12
- 6 ounces chocolate pudding mix
- 4 cups milk, to prepare pudding mix (or as directed on mix)
- 14 ounces condensed milk
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 12 ounces Cool Whip
- 18 ounces Oreo cookies
- Make chocolate pudding according to box and place in fridge.
- Chop up all Oreos in food processor.
- Cover bottom of 9×13 glass pan with a thin layer of Oreos.
- Beat condensed milk, Cool-Whip, and cream cheese in a large bowl until well mixed.
- Cover bottom layer of Oreo with chocolate pudding.
- Layer cream mix.
- Layer remaining Oreos on top.
- Refrigerate for 20 minute.
As a journalist, I can’t leave Spotlight off the menu. Finish off your evening by sipping on one (or more!) of the classic Bostonian cocktail, the Ward 8.
- 2 ounces bourbon or rye whiskey
- 3/4 ounce lemon juice
- 3/4 ounce simple syrup
- Dash of grenadine
- Orange slice and maraschino cherry for garnish
- Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Shake well.
- Strain into a chilled cocktail glass or a Collins glass filled with ice.
- Garnish with a cherry and orange slice flag.