National Strawberry Day 2016: As winter winds down, enjoy some summery strawberry treats
It may not be the first day of spring yet, but it’s not to early to start thinking about those wonderful strawberries to come. Today, Feb. 27, is National Strawberry Day, so enjoy these two recipes that are sure to bring a smile to your face.
From Cupcakes and Cutlery
- 1 ring angel food cake (store-bought)
- 1 large package strawberry Jell-o
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 small container of Cool Whip
- 1 large package frozen strawberries (The kind that still has the juice, not full strawberries)
- Break half of the angel food cake in to chunks and put in the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan.
- Mix jello in a bowl with 2 cups boiling water.
- Add strawberries immediately and stir.
- Stir in spoonfuls of Cool Whip until well mixed.
- Spoon half of the mixture over the angel food cake in the dish.
- Repeat layers and set in refrigerator for several hours.
- Cut in to squares and serve immediately.
- 1 cup sliced frozen strawberries
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- 1/4 cup milk or canned coconut milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Put the mixture in a plastic bag and freeze for 10 minutes.
- Cut a hole in the bag and squeeze out a swirl.