No day at the Elkhart County 4-H Fair was ever complete without an elephant ear. My grandma used to let us make these when we would come visit when I was younger and, I kid you not, I’d devour at least six in one sitting.
- RELATED: Elkhart County 4-H Fair 2015: A trip down food row, July 6, 2015
Take the best part about the fair home with you with these simple elephant ears.
From Nel’s Nook
- 1 tube Pillsbury Grands Flaky Layer Original Biscuits
- Cinnamon sugar mixture (mix sugar and cinnamon)
- Oil for frying
- In a frying pan, pour oil about 1 1/2 inches high and turn on medium heat. Split the biscuits in half.
- Stretch each biscuit as much as you can without it tearing and place it in the oil.
- When the biscuit is golden brown, flip onto the other side.
- When done, blot with a paper towel and sprinkle cinnamon sugar on both sides.
Craving more fair food recipes? Check out the these sweet lemon cupcakes, a winning recipe from the 2013 fair.