Lent 2016: Tuna and lemon rice is tasty and filling for your Fish Friday
Looking for a fish dish to serve on Fridays during Lent? Your dinner guests will be tail over fin for this tuna and rice dish.
- RELATED: Lent 2016: Which area churches and organizations are hosting fish frys during Lent, Feb. 17
- RELATED: Lent 2016: Fish Fridays calls for honey garlic salmon dish, Feb. 12
The recipe from The Weary Chef serves two, but you can easily double or triple that for more people.
LEMON RICE WITH TUNA AND SPINACH
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup brown rice
- 1 12-ounce can of solid white tuna (drain before using)
- 2 cups baby spinach, chopped
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- lemon juice
- black pepper
- Stir rice, chicken broth, onion powder and garlic powder in a medium saucepan. Add black pepper to taste and bring to a low boil over medium-high heat.
- When the mixture is boiling, reduce to low heat, then cover and simmer.
- After 35 minutes, add the tuna, lemon juice from one-half lemon, spinach and salt. Cover the pot again and cook for five more minutes before serving.