Gift shopping is never easy, and when it comes to Valentine’s Day the pressure is on to pick just the right gift to give to your sweetheart. But don’t worry, we at Flavor have your back. Here are some Valentine’s Day gift ideas that won’t break the bank and will keep your significant other happy this holiday.
Valentine’s Day gifts for her:
- A DIY jar of dates: The best gifts are gifts from the heart. Spend some time and think of creative future date ideas to do with your special lady. Giving this as a gift for V-Day alleviates the the stressful “whaddya wanna do tonight?” back-and-forth that will inevitably follow next week. You can always work together on this after the holiday and keep adding dates to the jar.
- A DIY collage of pictures: This is for those of you out there that are extra creative. A photo collage is a wonderfully heartfelt gift that lets you both look back on the beautiful (or goofy) times you’ve shared together. You can focus on a theme (such as only vacation photos, or only summer photos, etc.) to add an extra layer of meaning to the gift.
- Flowers: Don’t discount this V-Day staple, there’s a reason it’s the standby gift for the holiday. Make sure she likes flowers as a gift (and make sure you know her favorite flower) before you go out and buy some. You can use this as your centerpiece gift with a large arrangement, or you can complement a smaller gift with flowers.
- Chocolate / Edible arrangements: Nothing says I love you like a big chocolate heart with “I love you” written on it. Chocolate alone is best used as a complementary gift, but if your special lady really loves chocolate, don’t be afraid to go all out. Edible arrangements can cost a bit extra, but they pack in a bunch of creativity in unique fruit basket designs with the added bonus of chocolate. Seriously. Chocolate.
Valentine’s Day gifts for him:
- DIY “open when” letters: We all have bad days, get sick or are just plain bored. Making some man-o-vational cards he can open when he’s not at the top of his game will boost his spirit and let him know that you’ve thought of him and the mood he finds himself in. Plus, you can be fun and creative, and truly personalize the cards.
- DIY candy with cheesy sayings: Most guys are pretty easy to please when it comes to Valentine’s Day gifts. A bag of fun size Hershey’s bars are going to elicit the same reaction as the world’s most expensive chocolate bar, so personalize the candy this year with punny and creative sayings attached.
- Handmade pottery: Whether it’s to drink coffee, water or beer, a unique mug is a great way for him to show his personality (and to show off to his friends). There are several potters in the area (Mark Goertzen, Dick Lehman, Todd Pletcher, Eric Strader, Fred Driver, Eric Kaufmann and Justin Rothshank to name a few), where you can purchase a unique mug.
- Artisanal coffee: Speaking of coffee, why not pump his heart with a caffeine boost from artisanal coffee. There are many bold new flavors out there beyond a cup of Folgers. Better still, you can visit DIY Coffee and Ale Supply in Goshen and pick up some unique supplies for him to brew coffee at home.
Bailey Brouwer assisted in the writing of this article.
- RELATED: Looking for gifts for the food lover?, Dec. 14, 2015
- RELATED: Eight food and beverage gifts Dad will love, June 9, 2015