Meatless Mondays: Quinoa chili is a filling meal that will warm you up on a cold winter day
There’s nothing better to fill you up and warm your bones on a cold day than a hot bowl of chili. But what if that chili were meatless, and was packed with lots of great fiber from quinoa? Bonus.
Preperation time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Serving size: 6
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2, 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1, 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1, 4.5-ounce can diced green chilies
- 1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1, 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1, 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels, frozen
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- RELATED: Tip of the week: Take your chili to the next level for tailgate season, Sept. 8, 2015
- In a large saucepan of two cups of water, cook quinoa according to package instructions and set aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large pot. Add garlic and onion and cook, stirring frequently for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in quinoa, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, green chilies, chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper and 1 to 2 cups of water. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer covered until thickened for 30 minutes. Stir in beans, corn and cilantro and cook for another 2 minutes. Serve immediately.