Few things stave off autumn’s chill better than a bowl of hearty chili.
- RELATED: Tip of the week: Take your chili to the next level for tailgate season, Sept. 8
It’s one of those easy things you can prepare a few days ahead of time and eat for a few days, which makes it so great for crisp fall nights in.
Last week, we asked folks what easy meal they wanted Saturday night and for this week, chili earned an overwhelming majority.
- RELATED: Easy eats: Make a pot of macaroni and cheese in 20 minutes, Sept. 19
- RELATED: Easy eats: Vegetarian tacos with avocado in less than 25 minutes, Aug. 22
This recipe from Minimalist Baker is vegetarian and uses six main ingredients, not counting the optional spices and garnishes.
Below the recipe, check out the poll and decide what you want for next week. We’ll take care of the hard part.
Time: About 55 minutes
How many ingredients: 6
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, diced
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, cleaned and chopped
- 16 oz. salsa
- 15 oz. can black beans, slightly drained
- Olive oil
- 2 cups vegetable stock + 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. chipotle powder
- 1-2 tsp. hot sauce
- In a large pot over medium heat, sweat onions in olive oil and season with salt and pepper as needed. Stir and cook on medium until onions are soft and clear.
- Add sweet potato and desired spices. Cook for three minutes and add salsa, water and stock.
- Bring to a low boil on medium-high heat and lower heat and let simmer. Add black beans, cook and cover for at least 20 more minutes, or until sweet potatoes are tender and soup is thick.
What easy meal is for dinner next week?