Math before caffeine is rough, but hear us out. It could just save you a good lump of cash in time for the holidays.
In anticipation of Pumpkin Spice Latte season and the chillier days ahead, we’re bracing ourselves for all things pumpkin spiced or flavored.
- RELATED: Pumpkin Spice Latte will include real pumpkin this year, could be released Sept. 8, Aug. 21
Say your caffeine addiction isn’t totally out of hand and you treat yourself to one PSL per week for October and November. That’s 10 lattes for about $40 if you get a 12 ounce drink each time.
You can actually make your own at home for less than $1 per drink with this recipe from Averie Cooks.
DIY Pumpkin Spice Latte
- 2 cups fresh coffee
- 1 cup milk of choice (2 percent or low-fat works best if you want foam)
- ¼ heaping cup pumpkin puree (canned or make your own with real pumpkin)
- 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice blend
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Sweetener of choice, to taste
- Make coffee in pot.
- Make syrup by combining milk, puree, all spices, sweetener and extract and whisking well.
- Pour 1 cup of brewed coffee into mug and pour half of syrup over the top.
A staple of lattes and cappuccinos is the milk foam. Most cafes have frothing wands or machines, but you don’t have to have a special machine on your counter to get the same thing.
If you want a layer of foam, combine all the spices with the milk and pour into jar or container and seal tight with a lid. Shake the container for about a minute and then pop it in the microwave for about one minute. The foam will rise in the jar and you can gently spoon the mixture into your coffee.