These final flavors started with the suggestions of people like Hailey Green, according to a news release on Frito-Lay’s website. The Noblesville, Ind., travel agent suggested Lay’s make a potato chip that tastes like Southern Biscuits and Gravy, one of her favorite dishes.
A panel of “chefs, foodies and flavor experts” then narrowed down the millions of contest submissions from around the country to the final four, according to the release. Green’s Southern Biscuits and Gravy will compete in a nationwide popularity contest with Wavy West Coast Truffle Fries, New York Reuben and Kettle Cooked Greektown Gyro.
Some of Flavor 574’s taste testers weren’t as forgiving as the panel when it came to those four flavors, though:
- “I wouldn’t bring those to a party and feed them to people, unless I didn’t like those people,” Flavor 574 digital producer Danielle Waldron about New York Reuben.
- “Get this away from me. That is not a gyro. That is a crime,” 95.3 MNC editor Krystal Vivian about Greektown Gyro.
- “It smells like dish detergent,” Federated Media Digital Content Director Sam Tongue about Southern Biscuits and Gravy.
Whether it’s the taste of biscuits and gravy or just Hoosier pride, most of Flavor 574’s taste team liked Green’s suggested flavor.
- “I want a plate of this,” Federated Digital Solutions web developer Wayne Drescher
- “It’s like, a very rich taste for a potato chip,” Waldron
- “It smells like peppery scrambled eggs,” Vivian
Now, it’s time for you to decide which flavor should stay.
Fans can vote once per day for their favorite flavor through the “Do Us A Flavor” contest website; Twitter or Instagram using the hashtags #VoteBiscuits, #VoteTruffleFries, #VoteReuben or #VoteGyro; or by texting VoteBiscuits, Vote TruffleFries, VoteReuben or Vote Gyro to 24477 (CHIPS).
The winning flavor will be revealed in October and will continue to be sold after the contest.