Elkhart County 4-H Fair: Just how unhealthy is fair food?
It’s no surprise: a day at the Elkhart County 4-H Fair can cost you. Once you pay to get inside, you obviously have to ride as many rides as possible after scarfing down a funnel cake.
But since it’s the fair, you don’t stop at that.
There’s a cup of ice cream at the Dairy Bar, a slice of pie or a crispy pile of Saratoga chips. Before you know it, your wallet is crying for mercy. And your body could be, too.
- RELATED: 80 types of food at the fair, including deep-fried licorice and coffee balls, July 10, 2015
For consistency’s sake, take the “average” American woman and man’s weight in 2015: 166.2 and 195.5 pounds, respectively, the Washington Post reports.
Just one plate of fried dough can pack a heavy caloric punch, but multiple items in a day or during fair week is colossal.
Finding nutritional information about fair food isn’t easy, either. Numbers aren’t posted next to a menu item (and probably for good reason) and calorie count can depend on toppings, size, serving, amount and type of oil, flour and other ingredients.
- RELATED: Seven fair food favorites to eat at the Elkhart County 4-H Fair, July 20, 2015
After fair week is over, here’s how long the average American adult would have to exercise to work off fair food, using CalorieLab’s calculator:
- 8 oz. Pepsi: 100 calories, 0 grams fat, according to Pepsico. Woman leisurely biking: Two hours. Man leisurely biking: Two hours.
- Original Auntie Anne’s pretzel: 340 calories, 5 grams fat, according to Auntie Anne’s. Woman vigorously swimming: 30 minutes. Man vigorously swimming: About 20 minutes.
- Funnel cake with powdered sugar: 760 calories, 44 grams fat, according to Livestrong. Note: Exact nutrition depends on oil, size and toppings. Woman running at moderate pace: An hour and a half. Man running at moderate pace: An hour and 15 minutes.
- Elephant ear with sugar topping: 500 calories, according to Livestrong. Note: Exact nutrition depends on oil, size and toppings. Woman mowing the lawn: One hour. Man mowing the lawn: One hour and 15 minutes.
- Fried Oreo with powdered sugar: 130.48 calories, 9.16 grams fat, according to The Baltimore Sun. Woman doing house chores: One hour and 15 minutes. Man doing house chores: One hour.
That’s not to say it’s detrimental to share a funnel cake with a friend or avoid Food Row at all costs. Fair Week is a beloved part of the community and it’s OK to treat yourself, but maybe in moderation to avoid the huge calorie ticket and potentially upset stomach.