Six weeks and more than 100,000 votes later, northern Indiana has spoken.
Pizza Wars came to a close as Marshall County’s Wooden Peel was voted the best pizza in northern Indiana, according to a news release from the Northern Indiana Tourism Development Commission (NITDC).
Wooden Peel (108 W. Plymouth St., Bremen) faced off in the championship round with Kosciusko County’s Cafe at The Bowling Alley. The votes were close, with Wooden Peel garnering 51 percent of the votes and Cafe at The Bowling Alley rallying 49 percent, according to the Pizza Wars voting bracket.
- RELATED: Regional voting begins, and a critic joins the fray, June 12
When the final eight pizzerias were selected, NITDC brought food critic and journalist Kate Silver to sample each of the final eight pizzas, according to previous Flavor 574 reporting:
- Elkhart County: Rulli’s
- LaGrange County: Iannarelli’s Italian Restaurant
- St. Joseph County: Giannetto’s Pizza & Pasta
- LaPorte County: Albano’s Villa
- Porter County: Duneland Pizza
- Kosciusko County: The Cafe at The Bowling Alley
- Marshall County: Wooden Peel
- Wildcard: Iechyd Da (Elkhart County)
Silver chose Iechyd Da (317 N. Main St., Elkhart) as the Critic’s Choice winner and The Cafe at The Bowling Alley (1535 N. Detroit St., Warsaw) got honorable mention, according to the news release.
- RELATED: Who will compete for the best pizza in northern Indiana?, April 28
After trying each pizza, Silver scored each slice based on crust, sauce, cheese, toppings, ambiance/history and execution, according to the release. At Iechyd Da, she tried the Kidwelly, inspired by owners Chip and Summer Lewis’ travels, and even tucked into a second piece.
— Kate Silver (@K8Silver) June 13, 2015
“There’s a thoughtfulness that comes through in every bite of Iechyd Da’s pizza — the aroma, the flavors, the textures,” she said in the release. “But the pizza doesn’t just taste incredible. It tells a story about the owners, their travels and the town of Elkhart. It starts a conversation.”
Follow digital producer Danielle Waldron on Twitter @DanielleWaldron.