The food groups on the Fourth of July look a little different than most days: get a few heaping servings of barbecue, equal parts funnel cakes and elephant ears and then red, white and blue desserts.
Since Fourth of July falls on Saturday this year, what is normally a day’s worth of celebrating at home and in the community will likely roll into a whole weekend of parades, fairs and cookouts.
- RELATED: Food events, seasonal stands and more recipes for a delicious summer, June 19
As a kid, Fourth of July meant setting off Roman candle fireworks, swimming and eating red, white and blue cupcakes. The magic of the holiday changes when you get older, but it’s still delightful to celebrate in good company with great food eaten outside.
- RELATED: Three recipes for reader-favorite cookout dishes, May 15
For vegetarians and vegans this year, think outside of the box…of frozen veggie burgers, that is.
If you’re cooking for a vegetarian or vegan this year, try this homemade chipotle sweet potato burger. Sweet potatoes and oats are high in fiber and complex carbohydrates, so you’ll stay full longer and can (hopefully) avoid the sugar crash from patriotic-themed sweets.
Vegan chipotle sweet potato burger
From The Chubby Vegetarian. Serves 4.
You can prepare these ahead of time so all you have to do is fire up the grill and cook when the time comes. These are slightly spicy, a little sweet and really great with barbecue sauce.
- 1½ cups baked, peeled and mashed sweet potato
- 1½ cups quick-cooking oatmeal
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. cracked black pepper
- 1 or 2 minced chipotle chilies, from a can
- canola oil, if pan frying
- In a bowl, mix all ingredients until well incorporated. Cover and let refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Form mixture into four patties.
- If pan frying, pan fry over medium heat with a little bit of oil, about four minutes per side. If grilling, grill in foil over medium heat until firm and crispy around the edge.
I made these a lot in college and recommend topping the burger with avocado and tomatoes. Happy Fourth of July!