Three cheers for the red, white and blue!
Whenever you raise your glass this year on Saturday, July 4, be sure the drink inside is fit for the occasion.
- RELATED: Stars, Stripes and Sweets: desserts for the Fourth of July, July 1, 2014
Punches, cocktails and margaritas are great for a huge backyard bash or a small get together. Lemonades and punches are fine, but brightly colored and layered mixed drinks will make your celebration even more festive.
- 1¼ oz. vodka
- 1 oz. lemon juice
- 1¼ oz. blue curacao
- ¾ oz. grenadine
- splash of simple syrup (will need sugar and water)
- To make simple syrup, mix equal parts hot water and sugar until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour grenadine into bottom of an empty Collins glass. Add ice. Pour curacao over the grenadine.
- In cocktail shaker filled with ice, combine vodka, lemon juice and simple syrup. Strain over curacao and serve with straw.
RED, WHITE AND BLUE SANGRIA
- strawberries, sliced
- pineapples, cut into star shapes
- 2 bottles dry white wine
- 1 cup Triple Sec
- ½ cup berry-flavored vodka
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup simple syrup
- Prepare and combine all ingredients in a pitcher, stir and let chill for several hours.
From Style Estate.
- 1 oz. raspberry vodka
- 3 oz. fruit punch Gatorade or sports drink
- ½ oz. grenadine
- 1 oz. coconut rum
- 3 oz. Sobe Pina Colada
- 1 oz. blue raspberry vodka
- ½ oz. blue curacao
- 3 oz. blue Gatorade or sports drink
- strawberry garnish
- Blend all ingredients in red layer. Pour in glass and place in freezer.
- Blend white layer and use a spoon to put it gently on top of red layer. Place in freezer.
- Blend blue ingredients and spoon on top of white layer. Garnish with strawberry.
From Six in the Suburbs blog.
- 3 oz. fruit punch
- 3 oz. blue sports drink
- 3 oz. diet lemon lime soda (must be sugar free)
- Fill the glass one-third of the way full with ice. Pour fruit punch almost to top of ice cubes.
- Fill another third with ice and slowly pour blue sports drink to top of cubes.
- Pour final third with ice and slowly pour soda.
RED AND BLUE LEMONADE
From Betty Crocker.
- 2 12-oz. cans frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
- 12 cups sparkling water
- 2 medium lemons, cut into slices
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 cups raspberries
- 1 lb. strawberries, stemmed and halved
- 1 cup mint leaves
- Fill a bowl with water, add one sliced lemon. Freeze completely for about four hours.
- In large pitcher or glass drink dispenser, add lemonade concentrate. Pour in sparkling water and mix well.
- Remove bowl from freezer. Dip bowl into warm water and turn ice out. Put ice in pitcher of lemonade mixture. Add other sliced lemon, berries and mint leaves.
- Pour into glasses and serve.