The battles were long and well-fought, but only one pizza rose to the top in each county as the first stage of Pizza Wars wrapped up Sunday night.
Seven pizzerias were selected through three rounds of bracket-style voting to represent seven counties in northern Indiana: Elkhart, St. Joseph, Porter, LaPorte, LaGrange, Marshall and Kosciusko. By the end of the month, one will be named the best pizza in northern Indiana. Regional voting begins Friday, June 12 on the Northern Indiana Tourism Development Commission’s website, according to a news release.
- RELATED: Pizza Wars: Who will compete for the best pizza in northern Indiana?, April 28
The winners of the county-level voting, with the competitors and percentage of votes for each, were:
- Elkhart: Rulli’s (78 percent) vs. Iechyd Da (22 percent), though Iechyd Da is still in the competition as a wildcard competitor, according to Robby Bearss of the NITDC.
- St. Joseph: Giannetto’s Pizza & Pasta (58 percent) vs. Rocco’s (42 percent)
- LaGrange: Iannarelli’s Italian Restaurant (81 percent) vs. Chicago Joe’s (19 percent)
- LaPorte: Albano’s Villa (57 percent) vs. Miller Pizza by the Beach (43 percent)
- Kosciusko: The Cafe at The Bowling Alley (89 percent) vs. The Frog Tavern (11 percent)
- Porter: Duneland Pizza (59 percent) vs. Rolling Stonebaker (41 percent)
- Marshall: Wooden Peel (78 percent) vs. Piazza’s (22 percent)
An eighth competitor who was previously voted out but garnered the most votes throughout the first three rounds is set to rejoin the regional competition as a wildcard competitor, according to previous reporting.
Iechyd Da, from Elkhart County, will come back for a second chance in the regionals, though Bearss said Rocco’s and Rolling Stonebaker were close to the wildcard spot.
Just as there were three rounds of county-level voting, there will be three regional voting rounds, the first one starting June 12, according to previous Flavor 574 reporting. We will keep you posted as voting opens and closes, with updates on who’s in and who’s out.
Meanwhile, follow the fun by tracking the tag #PizzaWarsNI.
Follow digital producer Danielle Waldron on Twitter @DanielleWaldron.