The nominations are tallied and it’s time to whittle down the list of which pizzeria makes the meanest pie in northern Indiana.
Eight nominees were named in Elkhart County and will vie for the top spot: That winner will be announced June 7 and will compete with the top pizzeria from Kosciusko, LaGrange, LaPorte, St. Joseph, Marshall and Porter counties, according to Amish Country.
RELATED: Pizza Wars — Who will compete for the best pizza in northern Indiana?, April 28, 2015
The eight nominees in Elkhart County are:
- Cook’s Pizza, 101 S. Elkhart Ave., Wakarusa
- Iechyd Da Brewing Co., 317 N. Main St., Elkhart
- Michael’s Italian Restaurant, 528 Harrison St., Elkhart
- Primo Italian Eatery, 201 W. Marion St., Elkhart
- Rulli’s, 851 U.S. 20, Middlebury
- Venturi, 123 E. Lincoln Ave., Goshen
- The Vine, 214 S. Main St., Elkhart
- Volcano Pizza, multiple Elkhart locations
For St. Joseph County, Flavor 574’s partners at 95.3 MNC listed the eight nominees, which are:
- Barnaby’s Pizza, multiple locations
- Bruno’s Pizza, multiple locations
- Giannetto’s Pizza & Pasta, 14020 Cleveland Road, Granger
- Lacopo’s Pizzeria, 3004 Ardmore Trail, South Bend
- Luigi’s Pizza, 3620 E. Mishawaka Ave., Mishawaka
- Rocco’s Restaurant, 537 N. St. Louis Blvd., South Bend
- Starlite Pizza, 932 E. Ireland Road, South Bend
- Tony Sacco’s, 201 Florence Ave., Granger
For Kosciusko County, the eight contenders are:
- Angelo’s Chicago Style Pizza, 2568 Walton Blvd., Warsaw
- Cafe at The Bowling Alley, 1535 N. Detroit St., Warsaw
- Danny’s Sports Bar and Pizzeria, 3620 N. Barbee Road, Warsaw
- Down Under Family Dining, 801 N. Huntington St., Syracuse
- Fire N The Hole, mobile
- Frog Tavern, 1116 S. Harkless Drive, Syracuse
- Light Rail Village Cafe, 1000 Park Ave., Winona Lake
- Red’s Sweets, 111 S. Main St., Claypool
Though Flavor 574 and other local media did help collect nominations in each county, it was ultimately up to the county tourism bureaus to choose their final eight nominees. Restaurants had the option of opting out if they simply didn’t want to participate.
Voting begins online Friday, May 15. The Northern Indiana Tourism Development Commission will release a link Friday. You can vote once per day in each county. The first round of voting is open through May 24, according to Amish Country.
The three rounds of county-level voting close June 7, according to previous Flavor 574 reporting. After that, the county winners compete in three regional rounds of voting. The championship voting round is June 26 to 29.
RELATED: 2015 Best of Elkhart County — Pizza, April 30, 2015
In this year’s Best of Elkhart County list in The Elkhart Truth, Volcano Pizza was named the best pizza and Venturi and Bruno’s Pizza were among the three favorites.
You can follow the hashtag #PizzaWarsNI to see which slice climbs to the top.