Memorial Day 2015: Recipes for hosting a cookout on a budget
With Memorial Day fast approaching, you’re probably on the watch for easy recipes to make for your big cookout—or bring to a friend’s.
- RELATED: Memorial Day 2015: 10 grilling tips that will help you make the most of your cookout, May 8, 2015
Because Memorial Day is considered to be the unofficial start of summer, these recipes are sure to make the party feel just like a summer soiree.
- 2 14-oz. cans of black beans
- 2 14-oz. cans of sweet corn
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 package of cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
- ½ tbsp. olive oil
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 2 limes
- Salt and pepper
- (Optional) Avocado, sliced
- Rinse the corn and beans, drain and pour them into a large serving bowl
- Dice the red onion and cut the tomatoes in half. Add to bowl.
- Add avocado if desired
- Drizzle all with olive oil and squeeze limes into the bowl
- Add chopped cilantro and season with salt and pepper
- Mix it all up and serve with meat, fish or chips
DOUG’S LEMON PEPPER CHICKEN KEBABS
From $5 Dinner, Erin Chase.
- Yellow squash
- Red peppers
- Chicken (cut into chunks and marinated in lemon, pepper and olive oil)
For the tzatziki sauce:
- 2 cups plain yogurt (drained through coffee filter to remove extra moisture)
- 1 large clove of garlic
- Juice of half a lemon
- ½ cup grated, seedless cucumber
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Chop vegetables to roughly uniform chunks and skewer on kebabs with marinated chicken, then grill.
- For tzatziki sauce: Mix all ingredients and refrigerate until ready to serve
- Dip or drizzle kebabs in tzatziki sauce before serving
RED, WHITE AND BLUE STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE
From All Recipes, Tara Salerno.
- 1 18¼-oz. package of yellow cake mix
- 1 8-oz. container frozen whipping topping, thawed
- 1 pint blueberries, rinsed and drained
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, rinsed, drained and sliced
- Make cake according to directions on package
- Bake in 9-by-13-inch pan and cool completely
- Frost cake with whipped topping
- Arrange blueberries in square at top left corner and strawberries in stripes to make the American flag
- Chill until serving