Come to-cheddar now over brie, because it’s National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day on April 12.
It’s the sandwich of lovers and saints, if you believe a recent survey by members of the social networking and dating site Skout. The study of 4,600 people found that 73 percent of those who loved grilled cheeses had sex at least once a month, compared to 63 percent of those who don’t like grilled cheese, according to the Los Angeles Times. Eighty-one percent of grilled cheese lovers also said they donated time, money or food to those in need, compared to 78 percent of those who don’t.
The combination of melted cheese on sliced bread first made its gastronomical debut nearly a century ago, according to The Huffington Post. The dish was first prepared in the 1920s as an open-faced sandwich topped off with shredded American cheese.
The sandwich grew in popularity as the United States entered the Great Depression, because pre-sliced bread and processed cheese were easy on the wallet, according to The Huffington Post.
Sounds like a gouda-time anytime, huh?
But let’s cut through the cheese and have us a few grilled cheese sandwich recipes to tickle the palate.
GRILLED FIGS AND CHEESE Serves one.
(Source: 80 Breakfasts)
— 2 slices of sourdough bread.
— 3 dried figs.
— 1 spoon of chopped walnuts.
— Couple of spoonfuls of ricotta cheese.
— 2 to 3 slices of brie cheese.
— 2 to 3 slices of fresh mozzarella.
— Drizzle of honey.
— Sprinkle of truffle salt.
Heat a panini press or grill pan.
Smear the ricotta cheese on one slice of bread, top it with fig slices and walnuts and then top that with brie and mozzarella.
Drizzle honey and sprinkle truffle salt on the sandwich.
Top the sandwich with the other slice of bread.
Place the sandwich in the press or grill. Press down on the grill until grill marks appear, the bread is toasted and the cheeses have melted.
ROASTED STRAWBERRY, BRIE AND CHOCOLATE GRILLED CHEESE Serves two.
(Source: How sweet it is)
— 6 strawberries, quartered.
— ½ teaspoon of canola oil.
— 1 pinch of salt.
— 2 tablespoons of butter.
— 4 thick-cut slices of multigrain bread.
— 2 to 3 ounces of brie cheese, sliced.
— 1 to 2 ounces of high-quality chocolate.
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Toss the strawberries with oil and salt.
3. Spread the strawberries on a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes.
4. Heat a large skillet or grill over medium-low heat.
5. Butter the sides of two slices of bread and place them on the skillet buttered-side down.
6. Layer the slices of bread with cheese, chocolate and strawberries. And then top it off with even more cheese!
7. Butter one side of the other bread slices, and place it on top of the cheese.
8. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes until the cheeses start to melt.
9. Flip the sandwiches and cook until golden.