Recipes of the week: Unexpected soup recipes
Ron from Sault Ste. Marie, Mich., wrote in a couple of weeks ago looking for some soup recipes outside the usual chicken, vegetable and chili soups.
- RELATED: The Recipe Exchange: Warm up with these 3 hot, hearty chili recipes, Jan. 14, 2015
Bob from Adrian says his “Zippy Soup” is very good and even tastes better the next day. He was a cook in the navy for 24 years.
Marilyn from Plainfield sent in her recipe for pork and dumplings soup. It is rich and hearty.
Sue from Jonesville says all it takes to make a meal out of her meatballs and noodle soup is a loaf of crusty bread.
For more recipes, please stop by my blog, Food, Fun & More.
Request of the week:
Our ladies’ group is having a spring luncheon in April and I’d like to wow them with herb bread or biscuits. But, I need a great recipe. Please share.
– Wendy from Toledo
Send your own recipes and requests to The Recipe Exchange, PO Box 16, Addison, MI 49220 or by email.
BOB’S ZIPPY SOUP
- 1 lb. roll of Bob Evans Italian sausage
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped green pepper
- ½ cup red pepper
- 1 cup sliced baby carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- Two 13¾-oz cans chicken broth
- 1 c water
- 14½-oz can diced tomatoes (with green chilies, if desired)
- Corn starch
- 1 cup dry pasta (bow ties, sea shells, mini rotini, etc.)
- Brown sausage with onion, green pepper, red pepper, carrots and celery. Add chicken broth, water and diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat. Simmer for 15 minutes. Thicken with some corn starch and cold water mixed together, until desired consistency.
- Add pasta and boil gently until tender.
Note: This is a flexible recipe; you can add more broth and pasta to make more servings. Add some frozen corn, if desired.
MARILYN’S PORK & DUMPLINGS SOUP
Makes 6 servings.
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 2 tbsp. butter
- Two 10½-oz cans vegetable soup
- 1 soup can of water
- 1 cup cooked pork, diced
- 1 cup Bisquick mix
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 tbsp. chopped parsley
- ⅛ tsp. thyme
- Using a Dutch oven or deep skillet, sauté mushrooms and celery in butter until tender.
- Add vegetable soup, water and diced pork. Bring to a boil.
- Mix Bisquick mix, milk, parsley and thyme. Drop by spoonsful into boiling soup.
- Reduce heat and cook for 10 minutes. Cover and cook 10 minutes more.
SUE’S MEATBALLS & NOODLE SOUP
- ½ lb. ground beef
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped onion
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- Two 10½-oz cans beef broth
- 2 soup cans of water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1½ cups medium noodles, broken into pieces
- Mix together ground beef, onion, salt and pepper. Form into 18 meatballs.
- In a stockpot, brown meatballs in butter. Pour off grease.
- Add beef broth, water, carrots, bay leaf and noodles. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cook until noodles are done and carrots are tender. Remove bay leaf before serving.