James Beard Foundation Awards 2015: Final nominees announced for annual awards
A handful of Indiana and Michigan brewers and restauranteurs that were selected as semifinalists at the James Beard Foundation Awards didn’t make the next cut for final nominations.
Some other Great Lakes-area brewers and restauranteurs, however, will represent our area at the annual awards, otherwise known as the “Oscars of Food” on May 4 in Chicago.
- RELATED: Indiana brewers, chefs reach semifinals in the 2015 James Beard Foundation Awards, Feb. 19, 2015
Each year since 1990, chefs, food writers, brewers and others in the culinary world are among the award nominees, celebrating and honoring leaders in the food industry, according to previous reporting from Flavor 574.
This year, Mike, Nick and Simon Floyd of Three Floyds Brewing in Munster, Ind., were semifinalists for the “Outstanding Wine, Beer or Spirits Professional” award — a national category, according to the report.
Five final nominees were chosen for the “Outstanding Wine, Beer, or Spirits Professional” category, according to the list, but the Floyds did not make the cut.
Other Indiana and Michigan restauranteurs who made it to the semifinals in the “Best Chef: Great Lakes” category but did not advance to the final nominations were:
- Myles Anton of Trattoria Stella — Traverse City, Mich.
- Micah Frank of Black Market — Indianapolis
- Greg Hardesty of Recess — Indianapolis
- Daniel Orr of FARMbloomington — Bloomington, Ind.
- David Tallent of Restaurant Tallent — Bloomington
- Marc Djozlija of Wright & Co. — Detroit
- Andy Hollyday of Selden Standard — Detroit
The five chefs who were nominated in the Great Lakes region, according to the list from the James Beard Foundation:
- Curtis Duffy of Grace — Chicago
- Jonathon Sawyer of The Greenhouse Tavern — Cleveland
- Paul Virant of Vie — Western Springs, Ill.
- Erling Wu-Bower of Nico Osteria — Chicago
- Andrew Zimmerman of Sepia — Chicago
The 25th awards ceremony is May 4 at the Lyric Opera of Chicago, 20 N. Upper Wacker Drive. Alton Brown is hosting. Tickets will be on sale starting Wednesday, April 1.