They say there is strength in numbers, and going vegetarian – whether once a week for Meatless Monday or for good – is no different.
According to a 2014 study, roughly 16 million Americans are vegetarian, One Green Planet reports, which has only grown since 2009.
Often, celebrities set the pace off-screen for the latest juice craze, weight-loss “secret” or diet trend.
- RELATED: Ask a Foodie: Is drinking protein smoothies less healthy than eating foods with protein?, Feb. 7
In recent years, meat-free living has gained star power as more celebrities publicly identify as vegetarian or even vegan — House of Cards star Kate Mara recently appeared in a video with the Humane Society of the United States promoting vegetarianism and Meatless Monday, Entertainment Tonight reports.
After taking a 22-day challenge with husband Jay Z, Beyonce launched a vegan food delivery program, according to Huffington Post.
If you’re thinking about going vegetarian or are veg-curious, you’re in good company. Access Hollywood has a list of famous vegetarians and vegans, including:
- Natalie Portman (“Black Swan,” “Garden State”)
- Tobey Maguire (“Spiderman,” “The Great Gatsby”)
- Sir Paul McCartney (The Beatles)
- Kristen Bell (“Frozen,” “Veronica Mars”)
- Jack Johnson (Singer-songwriter)
For those of us who don’t have a fleet of makeup artists, trainers and personal chefs, let’s face it — finding the tastiest way to cook kale or figuring out how to navigate the health food store and eat our way to flawless can be a challenge.
Here’s a few tips from the stars that might help when trying meat-free foods or switching to a vegetarian diet:
- Start with breakfast: Stay full throughout the morning with a balanced breakfast. Former president Bill Clinton wakes up with a vegan smoothie of almond milk, berries, ice and dairy-free protein powder, Huffington Post reports.
- Do your research: Dining out is unavoidable. Do your research and find a few places that work for your dietary restrictions. Beyonce did the same thing during her vegan challenge, E! Online reports.
- Find replacements: Whether it’s swapping in non-dairy cheese or trying mock meats, be choosy until you find the food that works for you. Kristen Bell told SHAPE she experimented with non-dairy cheese replacements to make giving up dairy easier.
What meat-free food is your favorite to make or share?