Each year since 1990, chefs, cookbook authors, brewers and food writers are among the nominees of the food awards, which celebrate and honor leaders in the culinary world, according to the James Beard Foundation website.
This year, Mike, Nick and Simon Floyd of Three Floyds Brewing in Munster, Ind., are semifinalists for the “Outstanding Wine, Beer or Spirits Professional” award, which is a national contest.
“It’s mind boggling,” Nick told Flavor 574. “People work their whole lives to get a James Beard so I am really surprised and really happy.”
Nominees are chosen through open submissions, then the nearly 35,000 submissions are narrowed down by critics, editors and writers, according to the website. A board of former winners and committee members votes to choose the finalists.
A handful of Indiana and Michigan restaurateurs and brewers made it to the semifinals for the regional “Best Chef: Great Lakes” award, as well:
- Myles Anton of Trattoria Stella — Traverse City, Mich.
- Micah Frank of Black Market — Indianapolis
- Greg Hardesty of Recess — Indianapolis
- Daniel Orr of FARMbloomington — Bloomington, Ind.
- David Tallent of Restaurant Tallent — Bloomington
- Marc Djozlija of Wright & Co. — Detroit
- Andy Hollyday of Selden Standard — Detroit
Though there is no cash prize, award recipients will be honored with a certificate and engraved medallion, according to a news release from the James Beard Foundation.
The 25th awards ceremony is at the Lyric Opera of Chicago, 20 N. Upper Wacker Drive. Tickets will be on sale starting Wednesday, April 1.