Indulgence Pastry Shop & Cafe is offering a new way to celebrate Valentine’s Day 2015, and other holidays like it.
The cafe and bakery will begin selling edible bouquets both at its shop at 3622 Edison Road, Mishawaka, and through the delivery service 1-800-FLOWERS.
Owner Sean Wojtkowski said 1-800-FLOWERS approached him to supply fruit arrangements for delivery to a 20-mile radius.
- RELATED: Three chocolate courses in one evening, for the sake of charity, Feb. 6, 2015
Indulgence already has many of the items needed, and Wojtkowski said he’s thrilled to grow the business in this way. “Mother’s Day is supposed to be their biggest holiday. That’s awesome for us, since Mother’s Day hasn’t been that big for us,” he said.
Pastry Shop & Cafe
3622 Edison Road
Hours: 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday to Saturday
Indulgence employees went through training and are ready to offer the compositions of fruit that people often associate with Edible Arrangements. This will be competition for that national company.
Indulgence is changing in other ways, too.
Business has grown since it opened eight years ago. Owners Wojtkowski and Garrick Trotter, and their staff, continue to make a lot of wedding cakes and offer breakfast and lunch items in addition to the sweets they’re so well known for.
Sassy’s is a second location in the food court at University Park Mall, offering soups, salads and sandwiches.
More big things are happening, too. Indulgence is:
- Offering miniature versions of its breakfast pastries. They were available by pre-order, but are now offered daily. Many customers are buying three and sharing, Wojtkowski said.
- Adding gluten-free items. The flourless chocolate cake is already one of its best sellers and other options are coming. “Now we’re going to see if we can build up business with that,” he said.
- Staying open until 11 p.m. this Saturday. Valentine’s Day is the shop’s busiest day of the year. “It’s huge. We have an item at a price point that is very affordable,” he said. A lot of customers will walk in to get chocolate desserts starting Friday afternoon and continuing Saturday. “When Valentine’s Day falls on the weekend, we have a lot like that. Saturday should be strong,” he said.
- Making paczkis on Fat Tuesday. The beloved Polish donut with a bit more fat added to the dough is a local favorite on the day before Lent starts — known in some circles as Mardi Gras. Indulgence doesn’t have a fryer in the kitchen, but fries donuts on the stove one day a year. They’ll be filled with apple, blueberry, prune or strawberries and whipped cream. “We do them that one day and that’s it,” he said. They’ll make and sell hundreds instead of the thousands that other local bakers churn out, but it’s special at the shop.