2 coffee cake recipes to bring cheer to any weekend morning
Recipes of the week: Coffee Cake
A few weeks ago, Sandi from Mackinaw City, Mich., wrote that she wants to surprise her family with scrumptious coffee cakes for Sunday breakfasts this winter.
Jessica from Quincy, Mich., sent in her favorite recipe for blueberry coffee cake. She prefers fresh berries, but frozen ones work well too.
Marilyn from Brooklyn, Mich., says her bake-ahead sour cream coffee cake has been enjoyed by her family for a few decades. She included two topping recipes.
For more recipes, please stop by my blog, Food, Fun & More.
Recipe request of the week:
I am looking for a recipe using alligator. I have had it and it was delicious, but I lost my recipe.
– Nancy from Napoleon, Mich.
Send your own recipes and requests to The Recipe Exchange, PO Box 16, Addison, MI 49220 or by email.
JESSICA’S BLUEBERRY COFFEECAKE
- 1½ cups blueberries
- ¼ cup water
- 1¼ cups sugar, divided
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1¾ cups flour, divided
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ cup butter plus 2 tbsp.
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- Put blueberries and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil then cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Mix ¼ cup of sugar with the cornstarch. Add to blueberries. Stir until thickened.
- In a mixing bowl, combine 1½ cups of flour, baking powder, baking soda and the remaining sugar. Cut in ¼ cup of butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a separate bowl, mix together egg, buttermilk and vanilla. Add egg mixture to flour mixture. Stir until just moistened.
- Spread half of the batter into an ungreased 8-inch square baking pan. Spread blueberries over batter. Drop remaining batter in small mounds on top.
- Stir together remaining flour and sugar, cut in 2 tbsp. of butter to make crumbs. Sprinkle on top of coffeecake.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
SOUR CREAM COFFEE CAKE
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 stick (½ cup) butter
- 2 eggs
- 8 oz. sour cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 cups flour
Nut & Brown Sugar Topping:
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped nuts
- 1 tbsp. butter
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup chopped nuts
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1½ apples, peeled and sliced thin
- Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, sour cream and vanilla.
- Sift dry ingredients together and mix well with creamed mixture, on low speed. Batter will be thick and sticky.
- Pour half of the batter into a greased and floured tube or Bundt pan. Sprinkle more than half of the topping on the cake.
- Add the rest of the batter and the rest of the topping, pressing topping lightly into batter with fingertips.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes.