Recipes of the Week: Chili
Liz from Hillsdale, Mich., asked her fellow readers for their favorite chili recipes to make on a cold winter night.
Helen from Union City, Mich., says the aroma of her slow-cooker chili simmering all day is just delicious. Ed from Morenci, Mich., sent in his family’s favorite recipe for chili soup. Stacey from Petoskey, Mich., makes her chili for a hot, hearty meal after spending the day outside playing in the snow.
For more recipes, please stop by my blog, Food, Fun & More.
Recipe Request of the Week:
I’m looking for an old-fashioned recipe for Sticky Buns, or Pecan Rolls. It doesn’t seem like anybody makes these anymore.
– Grace from Elkhart
Send your own recipes and requests to The Recipe Exchange, PO Box 16, Addison, MI 49220 or by email.
HELEN’s SLOW-COOKER CHILI
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 cans red kidney beans, undrained
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 t salt
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 t chili powder
- 1/8 t garlic powder
- 1 t black pepper
- 1 t cumin
- 2 – 14 oz cans tomatoes, with juice
- Brown beef in a large fry pan along with onion and green pepper. Drain off grease.
- Place mixture into a slow-cooker. Add kidney beans, salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin and tomatoes. Stir to mix.
- Set heat to low and cook, covered for 8 to 9 hours.
ED’S CHILI SOUP
- 1 1/2 lbs hamburger
- 1 1/2 t salt
- 2 c sliced onions
- 3 oz uncooked spaghetti
- 14 oz can pinto beans
- 2 c canned tomatoes, with juice
- 1 qt tomato juice
- 1 T chili powder
- 1 t cumin
- 1 T finely diced jalapeno peppers
- Brown hamburger with sliced onion in a Dutch oven. Cook until beef is done and onions are tender. Drain grease.
- Add chili powder, cumin, salt and jalapeno peppers. Stir to mix.
- Add pinto beans, tomato juice and canned tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat then add spaghetti and simmer for 30 minutes.
Note: Chili is delicious served with warm corn bread.
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 1 can chili-style beans
- 2 cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 pkg chili mix
- 1 can tomato soup
- 1 med onion, chopped
- 1 can water
- Brown ground chuck with chopped onion. Drain off grease.
- Place meat in a slow cooker. Stir in chili mix. Add beans, diced tomatoes, tomato soup and water. Mix well.