Are you spending the day nursing your first hangover of 2015?
Slide out of bed, stagger into the kitchen and throw together one (or all) of these recipes. Each is easy on the tummy and packed with the nutrients you sacrificed during your New Year’s Eve revelry.
Easy Banana Pancakes
This recipe from Food Republic serves four people and will give you a boost of potassium that you’re sorely needing right now.
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ¼ cups whole milk
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 2 ripe bananas, sliced
- Whisk together all the dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together all of the wet ingredients until the egg is broken up.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and add the sliced bananas. Gently stir until you stop seeing flour. Overmixing will make the batter tough. Leave a few lumps for tender pancakes.
- Place batter on a large non-stick pan over a medium-high flame and let the surface get hot. It’s hot enough when you sprinkle water droplets over the surface and they evaporate.
- Moisten a paper towel with vegetable oil and lightly wipe the bottom of the pan to keep the pancakes from sticking.
- For each pancake, gently pour ½ cup of batter into the pan, using a ladle or a measuring cup. Use the back of a spoon to spread the batter into a circle.
- Bubbles will form in the batter. When they begin to pop, the pancakes are ready to be flipped. Turn over gently with the spatula and cook for about one minute on the flip side.
This fun and easy recipe from Sobur will satisfy your cravings for a salty and satisfying meal while delivering a hefty boost of nutrients.
- 4 tortillas
- ¼ cup low-sodium black beans
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tbsp. milk
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp. pico de gallo
- Warm up black beans on the stove or in the microwave.
- Mix eggs and milk, then season with salt and pepper.
- Place a teaspoon of butter in a small saucepan and scramble eggs.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Keep warm.
- In another pan, add olive oil and minced garlic. Sauté for about a minute until spinach is slightly wilted.
- Warm up tortillas according to package instructions.
- Arrange on a flat surface and divide the scrambled eggs among the tortillas, layer the spinach and place beans on top.
- Finish off with pico de gallo and serve warm.
Green Goddess Smoothie
If chewing sounds far too exhausting, this recipe from Spoon University is simple, nutritious and highly customizable.
- 1 ½ cups spinach
- 1 banana
- 1 cup frozen peaches, pineapple, mango or any other smoothie-friendly fruits hanging out in your crisper
- 1 cup coconut milk (you can also try water, milk, almond milk or coconut water)
- Sweetener of choice (stevia, agave nectar or honey)
- Combine all ingredients together in blender container and blend until smooth.
- Sip yourself back to health!