Feel free to ditch the hot chocolate powder at any time.
On the third day of Christmas (we are counting up until we hit the special day), Flavor 574 brings to you three drink recipes to enjoy this holiday season — plus one for the over-21 crow.
POLAR EXPRESS HOT CHOCOLATE
From The Girl Who Ate Everything. Makes 8 cups.
We can’t promise you’ll be served by a singing conductor with a fancy drink trolley, but this hot chocolate recipe is a close second.
- 6 cups milk (and fat content is fine)
- 1 14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 1½ cups bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- In a large pot, combine all ingredients over low heat. Keep mixture on low for 30-40 minutes, whisking occasionally until chocolate is melted and ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- Give a good whisking before serving to make the milk foamy.
- Serve immediately and garnish with marshmallows or whipped cream.
You can also check out these 5 hot cocoa recipes on Flavor 574 from National Cocoa Day for more hot chocolate inspiration.
From Produce on Parade. Makes 14 half-cup servings.
The name might seem a bit ironic, but this creamy eggnog is free of the chemicals you’d find in a carton of eggnog from the store and is still big on flavor.
- ¾ cup raw cashews, soaked for 30 minutes
- 2 cups fresh water
- 1 15-oz. can full-fat coconut milk
- 6 medjool dates, pitted
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. nutmeg (freshly grated is recommended)
- Place the cashews in a medium bowl. Cover completely with boiling water and allow to soak for at least 30 minutes. When done, drain and rinse the cashews and place in a blender on high.
- Add in the fresh water and blend with cashews on high for about 2 minutes until smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend on high again for about 2 minutes. Be sure the dates are completely blended. Pour into glass to serve.
- Grate the nutmeg and sprinkle over the top. Chill the eggnog or serve warm.
PEPPERMINT WHITE RUSSIAN
From The Marvelous Misadventures of a Foodie. Serves 1.
For the adult crowd, the White Russian gets a holiday twist.
- ¾ oz. Kahlua
- ¾ oz. vodka
- ¾ oz. peppermint schnapps
- Crushed candy canes
- Clear corn syrup
- Half and half
- Crush a candy cane into small pieces. Lightly dip the edge of an old fashioned glass into clear corn syrup, then dip the edge of the glass into the crushed candy cane to garnish.
- Fill the glass with ice. Pour in Kahlua, vodka and schnapps. Top off with half and half to fill.
This is part three of the 12 Days of Christmas series, a collaboration between Flavor 574 and The Elkhart Truth. Part two was about two ways to give back for the holidays, and part one was about an ugly sweater party at Flippin’ Cow on Thursday, Dec. 18.
Follow digital producer Danielle Waldron on Twitter at @DanielleWaldron.