3 holiday candy recipes easy enough for the kids to help
Recipe request of the week:
I’m looking for a good fruity-nutty bread to make over the holidays.
– Christine from Jennings
Send your own requests and recipes to The Recipe Exchange, PO Box 16, Addison, MI 49220 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Recipes of the Week: Christmas candy
Denise from Hilldale, Mich., wrote in asking for tasty but easy recipes for Christmas candy that she could make with her granddaughters.
Joyce from Adrian, Mich., makes her cookies ’n’ cream fudge for holiday treats and gifts.
Tina from Pioneer, Mich., use to make her peanut butter kisses with her daughters and now she makes them with her grandchildren.
Steve from Hillsdale, Mich., says it just wouldn’t be the holidays if he didn’t make his Heavenly Hash.
For more recipes, please stop by my blog, Food, Fun & More.
COOKIES ’N’ CREAM FUDGE
Makes about 2½ pounds.
- 2⅔ cups white chocolate chips or vanilla chips
- 14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk (such as Eagle brand)
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 2 cups (about 20) coarsely crushed Oreo cookies
- Line an 8-inch square baking pan with aluminum foil.
- In a heavy saucepan, over low heat, melt chips with condensed milk and salt. Remove from heat. Stir in crushed cookies.
- Spread evenly in prepared pan. Chill 2 hours or until firm.
- Turn fudge onto cutting board. Peel off foil and cut into squares. Store in a tightly covered container at room temperature.
PEANUT BUTTER KISSES
- ⅓ cup corn syrup
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- ⅓ cup peanut butter
- Chopped peanuts
- ½ cup nonfat dry milk
- Combine corn syrup and peanut butter in a small bowl. Gradually add dry milk and powdered sugar.
- Shape into a roll about ¾ inch in diameter. Roll in chopped peanuts.
- Wrap in waxed paper and chill. Cut into 24 one-inch pieces.
- 2 cups marshmallows
- ¼ cup butter
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 1½ cups evaporated milk
- 1¾ cups marshmallow crème
- ½ cup cocoa
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Using a pair of scissors, cut marshmallows into pieces. Place in a greased 9x12x2 inch pan.
- In a saucepan, mix sugar, evaporated milk, cocoa and butter. Heat and stir until mixture reaches 235 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat then add pecans, marshmallow cream and vanilla. Beat until mixture begins to thicken.
- Pour over marshmallow pieces. Let cool, then cut into pieces.