The 12 days of Christmas beer giving: Iechyd Da
The holiday season is the time for giving, and I love to give. But sometimes it’s hard to think of things for those hard-to-buy-for people in your life.
This is the first in a 12-part series to help you out with the beer-lovers on your list. I prefer to buy local, and what’s more local than one of our homegrown brewpubs?
Summer Lewis of Iechyd Da Brewing in downtown Elkhart has put together several different gift baskets to choose from to fit your budget and gift recipients.
- Starting at $16, you can get an empty growler with a $10 gift card (for a growler fill of the recipient’s choice).
- Another economical idea is the Enthusiast gift, a T-shirt and pint glass wrapped in a bow at $20.
- The Celebrations Basket comes with an empty growler, growler koozie and two snifter glasses for $30.
- The Sippin’ Samples Basket comes with an empty growler, $10 gift card (for growler fill), two pint glasses and a T-shirt for $40.
- And for those that deserve a grand gift, the Chilly Chugger Basket includes an empty growler, $10 gift card (for growler fill) two pint glasses and a hoodie for $55.
If you like to think outside the box, you can customize your gift basket by choosing individual items including gift cards, pint glasses, taster cups, snifters, koozies, T-shirts, hats, chocolate and hoodies.
While you are ordering your gift basket, be sure to belly up to the bar and enjoy a beer. Chip’s 200th batch is currently on tap: Dirty Frenchman Saison (9.5% ABV, IBUs 30).
He decided to mix it up with a black saison, dirtied up with rye malt and finished with a charge of Cascade hops. It is brewed with a French Saison yeast, so it’s not over the top as far as saisons go, but it does come with lots of flavor and a high ABV. That makes for a very easy drinking beer that can sneak up on you if you are not careful.
Iechyd Da also has a new IPA on tap: Eagle Point IPA. It is listed on the menu as an East Coast IPA, and even though it is not an in-your-face West Coast style, it does have really nice IPA characteristics. While the hop aroma is a bit mild, the flavor has wonderful dank, citrus and piney notes that are very nice.
The full current tap list is as follows:
- Local Blonde (4.8% ABV, IBUs 17)
- 1635 English Mild (4% ABV, IBUs 18)
- Mad Von Ludwig Lager (5.6% ABV, IBUs 22)
- Garden Gnome ESB (5.7% ABV, IBUs 37)
- Big Pit Porter (6% ABV, IBUs 27)
- Yam Bam Thank You Ma’am (sweet potato beer, 7% ABV, IBUs 23)
- Stiff Wind Scottish Strong (7% ABV, IBUs 24)
- Eagle Point IPA (6.5% ABV, IBUs 57)
- Revolution IPA (7.5% ABV, IBUs 75)
- Dirty Frenchman Saison (6.5% ABV, IBUs 30)