Request of the week:
I love winter cooking and I’m always trying to find new versions of old favorites. Does anyone have a new twist on Goulash they’d like to share?
– Marcia from Clinton, Mich.
Send your own requests and recipes to The Recipe Exchange, PO Box 16, Addison, MI 49220 or by email at email@example.com.
Recipes of the week: Hearty beef stew recipes
Earlier this month, Mark from Litchfield, Mich., said he was looking for a hearty beefy vegetable soup or stew. Ellen from Lake City and Cadillac, Mich., sent in her recipe for beefy vegetable soup that can be made on a stove as well as in a slow cooker.
Cheryl from Fayette likes to serve her beef barley soup with a loaf of fresh French bread. Doug from Hillsdale, Mich., says that after a day outside in the cold, a bowl of his hearty beef and vegetable soup really hits the spot.
For more recipes, please stop by my blog, Food, Fun & More.
BEEFY VEGETABLE SOUP
- 2 lbs. stewing beef, trimmed of fat, diced in small chunks
- 28-oz. can of diced tomatoes, include the juice in the soup
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 peppercorns
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 package frozen mixed vegetables
- Combine all ingredients and mix well.
- If making in a slow cooker, cook on high setting for 6 hours.
- If cooking on the stove top, bring soup to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 2 to 3 hours.
BEEF BARLEY SOUP
- 2 lbs. boneless beef chuck roast, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 10 cups water
- 2 tbsp. cooking oil
- 1½ cups barley
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 ribs of celery with leaves, chopped coarse
- 16 oz. can cut-up tomatoes
- 2 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ¼ tsp. parsley
- Bring beef and water to a boil in a Dutch oven. Skim off the foam. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add carrots, cooking oil, barley, carrots, celery, onion, tomatoes, salt, pepper and parsley.
- Simmer uncovered for 1 hour or until meat and barley are tender. Stir occasionally.
Serves 12. Soup can be refrigerated for up to three days or frozen up to six months.
HEARTY BEEF AND VEGETABLE SOUP
- 3 lbs. meaty beef chuck bones
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 4 onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 6 cups water
- 1 small cabbage, cut up
- 4 potatoes, cut up
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 8 carrots, diced
- 10 oz. package frozen peas
- 10 oz. package frozen lima beans
- 16 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 can condensed tomato soup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place meaty bones and onions in a large pot. Add water. Cover and bring to a boil, reduce heat and barely simmer for 2 hours.
- Remove bones and skim fat from liquid. Add carrots, lima beans, cabbage, celery, peas, tomatoes, sugar, Worcestershire sauce and tomato soup. Cover and simmer another hour.
- Meanwhile, trim meat from the bones. Return to pot long with potatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook an additional 30 minutes or until potatoes and vegetables are tender but not mushy. Remove bay leaf before serving.
Makes about 10 servings. Soup freezes well.