Request of the week:
My family is in such a rush in the morning, but I want to make sure they get something good, satisfying and healthy for a quick breakfast. Please see if anyone has a muffin recipe that would be good for breakfast.
– Peg from Quincy, Mich.
Send your own requests and recipes to The Recipe Exchange, PO Box 16, Addison, MI 49220 or by email at email@example.com.
Recipes of the week: Chicken casseroles
A couple of weeks ago, Janet from Bryan, Mich., wrote in asking for delicious chicken casserole recipes. Donelda from Morenci, Mich., sent in her recipe for rolled chicken.
Mary from McBain, Mich., says her chicken and macaroni casserole can be made with either chicken or turkey.
Joyce from Adrian, Mich., makes her Swiss and Chicken Casserole often. It is simple but delicious.
For more recipes, please stop by my blog, Food, Fun & More.
Makes approximately 8 to 10 servings
- 3 chicken breasts, partially frozen
- 16 oz. sour cream
- 1 package herbed seasoned stuffing mix, crushed
- 8 oz. shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 stick butter or margarine
- Slice each chicken breast long-ways to make four thin slices. This is easiest to do when chicken breasts are partially frozen. Coat both sides of each slice with sour cream, then coat with stuffing crumbs.
- Roll chicken up and put flap-side down in a greased baking dish. Fill baking dish, putting each roll of chicken up against the next. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees for one hour. During baking, baste two or three times with melted butter. During the last few minutes of baking time, uncover and top with Cheddar cheese. Let it melt slightly on chicken before serving.
CHICKEN AND MACARONI CASSEROLE
- 2 cups uncooked macaroni
- 1½ cups sliced celery
- ½ cup green pepper, diced
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 cans condensed cream of chicken soup
- ⅔ cups milk
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1½ cups diced cooked chicken or turkey
- 4-oz. jar pimiento, drained and diced
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- Cook macaroni and drain. Melt butter in a saucepan and sauté celery, green pepper and onion until tender.
- Add soup, milk, pimiento, salt, nutmeg and cheese. Stir until cheese melts and ingredients are well mixed.
- Pour into a 2½ quart casserole. Add macaroni and chicken. Stir until chicken and macaroni are coated. Top with almonds.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes, or until heated through.
SWISS AND CHICKEN CASSEROLE
- 4 cups cooked and diced chicken
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 cups croutons
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cups (8 oz) Swiss cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together chicken, celery, croutons, Swiss cheese, onion, salt and pepper.
- Mix mayonnaise with milk then pour over chicken mixture. Spoon into a 2 quart casserole. Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until bubbly.