Request of the Week:
I’m looking for some really good and delicious chicken casserole recipes.
– Janet from Bryan, Mich.
Send recipes to answer Janet’s request, or send your own requests to The Recipe Exchange, PO Box 16, Addison, MI 49220 or by email at email@example.com.
Recipes of the Week: Zucchini
A couple of weeks ago, Eleanor from Grass Lake, Mich., wrote in asking for some recipes for cooking, canning or freezing her family’s abundance of zucchini. Here are a few suggestions from her fellow readers.
Arlene from Riga, Mich., says everyone who tries her Zucchini Relish really likes it. Paula from Litchfield, Mich., sent in her all-time favorite recipe for Pineapple Zucchini Bread. Diane from Fayette, Mich., sent in her recipe for Zucchini Cookies. They make the house smell delicious when they’re cooking.
For more recipes, please stop by my blog, Food, Fun & More.
- 10 c zucchini, shredded
- 4 c onions, chopped
- 5 T salt
- 1 t dry mustard
- 1 T cornstarch
- 2 t celery seed
- 1 t pepper
- 1 T turmeric
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 5 c sugar
- 2 1/2 c white vinegar
- Mix zucchini, onion and salt. Let stand overnight then rinse and drain. Squeeze and put in a strainer to drain.
- Combine in a large pan the dry mustard, cornstarch, celery seed, pepper, turmeric, bell peppers, sugar and vinegar.
- Add zucchini-onion mixture. Bring to a rolling boil and boil for 20 minutes. Either can or freeze.
Note from Lynn: If canning, process pints for 30 minutes, quarts for 40 minutes at 10 lbs pressure.
PINEAPPLE ZUCCHINI BREAD
- 2 c shredded zucchini
- 8.25 oz can crushed pineapple, drained
- 3 c flour
- 1 c walnuts, chopped
- 2 t baking soda
- 1 1/2 t cinnamon
- 1 t salt
- 3/4 t nutmeg
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 c cooking oil
- 2 c sugar
- 2 t vanilla
- Grease and flour two 8 x 4 inch loaf pans.
- In a bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, baking powder and walnuts. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, beat eggs, oil and vanilla. Beat in sugar until mixture is thick.
- Stir in zucchini, pineapple and flour mixture with a spoon until well mixed. Pour into loaf pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Test for doneness with a toothpick. Let bread cool for 10 minutes then remove from pans.
Makes about 5 dozen cookies
- 1 c butter or margarine
- 3 t cinnamon
- 1 1/2 c sugar
- 1 t baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 2 c grated zucchini
- 1 t vanilla
- 3 1/2 c old-fashioned oatmeal
- 3 c whole wheat flour
- 1 c raisins
- 1 t salt
- Cream together butter and sugar. Mix in eggs and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix together whole wheat flour, oat meal, salt, cinnamon and baking soda. Add to creamed mixture.
- Stir in zucchini and raisins. Dough will be stiff.Drop by teaspoonsful onto lightly greased cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes.
Want more of The Recipe Exchange? To subscribe to this column and get email updates when new posts are available, visit our Subscribe page and select The Recipe Exchange.