Request of the Week:
I know its early, but I’m thinking ahead to Halloween. I’m looking for some recipes for cookies and party snacks.
Audrey from Caldonia, Mich.
Send recipes to answer Audrey’s request, or send your own requests to The Recipe Exchange, PO Box 16, Addison, MI 49220 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Recipes of the Week: Football snacks
Last month, Joe from Luna Pier, Mich., wrote in with a request for easy appetizers to serve during football games. Here are a few of the recipes his fellow readers sent in to help.
Nancy from Union City, Mich., says her Chocolate Party Mix is her husband’s favorite football snack.
Paul from Jerome, Mich., says everything is better with bacon. He likes to make his Bacon Breadsticks when the guys come over to watch the Big Game.
Jackie from Morenci, Mich., sent in her recipe for Braunscheiger Spread. It is easy to make and is always a hit.
Kathy from Adrian, Mich., sent in her recipe for Taco Dip.
For more recipes, please stop by my blog, Food, Fun & More.
CHOCOLATE PARTY MIX
- 3 cups Cherrios
- 3 cups Wheat Chex
- 2 cups salted peanuts
- 2 cups small pretzels
- 1 cup raisins
- ½ c butter
- 3 tbsp. Hershey’s Cocoa
- ¼ cup sugar
- In a large bowl, mix together Cherrios, Wheat Chex, peanuts, pretzels and raisins. Set aside.
- In a small plastic or glass bowl, melt butter in the microwave oven. Stir in cocoa and sugar.
- Slowly pour over cereal mixture and gently toss to coat evenly. Pour into a 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Cool.
- 24 sesame breadsticks
- ½ cup melted butter
- 12 slices bacon
- 1 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 tsp. garlic salt
- Mix Cheddar cheese with garlic and pour onto waxed paper. Brush breadsticks with melted butter.
- Cut bacon slices in half so there are 24 pieces. Wrap a piece of bacon around each breadstick, starting at the top and ending at the bottom. Secure with toothpicks.
- Place breadsticks on cookie sheets that have been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until bacon is browned.
- Roll breadsticks in Cheddar cheese while still hot from the oven.
- 1 lb braunschweiger
- 1 tsp. grated onion
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tsp. mustard, divided
- Mix braunschweiger, onion, Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon mustard, and half the cream cheese.
- Form into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for several hours.
- Combine rest of cream cheese with 2 teaspoons of mustard.
- Just before serving, frost braunschweiger ball with cream cheese-mustard mixture. Sprinkle with paprika. Serve with crackers.
- 1 can refried beans
- 8 oz shredded taco cheese mix
- 1 jar salsa
- Chopped tomatoes
- 8 oz sour cream
- Chopped green onions
- Mix refried beans and salsa. Spread on the bottom of a glass dish.
- Layer sour cream, cheese, tomatoes and onion on top. Serve with tortilla chips.