Request of the Week
Our family is inundated with zucchini. I’m looking for recipes for cooking, canning or freezing.
– Eleanor from Grass Lake
Send your own requests and recipes to The Recipe Exchange, PO Box 16, Addison, MI 49220 or by email at email@example.com.
Recipes of the Week: Creole recipes
A couple of weeks ago, Jackie from Middleville, Mich., requested some Creole recipes to try. Here are a few suggestions that other readers sent in.
Jean from Onsted sent in a recipe for Shrimp Creole that she made while living in Florida for several years.
Kim from Hastings brought back her recipe for Sausage & Shrimp Jambalaya from a trip to New Orleans.
Betsy from Monroe says her Shrimp Stuffed Catfish is easy to make and delicious served over rice.
For more recipes, please stop by my blog, Food, Fun & More.
- 12 oz. pkg medium size frozen cooked shrimp
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped green pepper
- ½ cup diced celery
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup butter or margarine
- 16 oz. can tomatoes, cut up
- 1 tbsp. dried parsley flakes
- 1 tbsp. chicken bouillon granules
- ¼ tsp. or more, bottled hot pepper sauce
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tbsp. cold water
- Hot cooked rice
- In a 10 or 12 inch skillet, cook the onion, green pepper, celery and garlic in butter, but do not brown.
- Add undrained tomatoes, parsley flakes, bouillon granules and hot sauce. Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Blend the water and cornstarch. Stir into tomato mixture until thickened and bubbly. Add shrimp, stirring to coat.
- Cover and warm through just enough to heat the shrimp.
- Serve over hot rice.
Note: A 14.5 oz can of tomatoes may be substituted. Any mild, fresh or frozen fish can be used in place of the shrimp.
SAUSAGE & SHRIMP JAMBALAYA
- 2 tbsp. butter
- ½ lb. Kielbasa sausage,
- 2 tbsp. paprika sliced
- ¼ inch thick
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ cup fresh diced tomatoes
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced thin
- 4 green onions, sliced thin
- 1 cup brown rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb. large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven or large heavy skillet. Add sausage, celery and green pepper. Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, black pepper, salt, tomatoes. Stir and cook until sauce thickens a little.
- Add green onions, saving a little for garnish. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Stir in the rice and mix well. Add chicken broth and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add shrimp, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Serve and sprinkle with green onions.
SHRIMP STUFFED CATFISH
- 2 cups fresh shrimp, cooked and peeled
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup half-n-half
- ½ cup cooking sherry
- ½ cup chopped green onion
- 2 tbsp. chopped parsley
- ½ cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- ½ tsp. paprika
- 12 catfish fillets
- Hot cooked rice
- Chop the shrimp into very fine pieces. In a bowl, mix together shrimp, eggs, half-n-half, sherry, green onions, parsley, mushrooms, salt, pepper and paprika.
- Lightly spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Place 6 catfish fillets in baking dish. Spoon shrimp mixture evenly on top of fillets. Top with remaining 6 fillets.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Serve over hot rice.