Three vegetable soup recipes for fall and winter produce
Request of the Week:
I’ve got a craving for some good made-from-scratch brownies. I remember my mom could whip up a batch for as kids in nothing flat.
— Marie from Litchfield, Mich.
Send recipes to answer Marie’s request, or send your own requests to The Recipe Exchange, PO Box 16, Addison, MI 49220 or by email at email@example.com.
Recipes of the Week: Vegetable soups
Ernie from Adrian, Mich. has served his Chef Ern’s Own Butternut Squash Soup for luncheons for the Lively Hearts Group at his church.
Judy from Blissfield, Mich. sent in her recipe for Winter Vegetable Soup.
Elaine from Adrian, Mich. says her Gourmet Tomato Soup tastes like something you would find in a restaurant.
For more recipes, please stop by my blog, Food, Fun & More.
CHEF ERN’S OWN BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
- 1 butternut squash (¾ – 1 lb.)
- 4 – 4½ cups water
- 1½ tbsp. beef bouillon granules
- 2 tbsp. butter
- ½ tsp. fine sea salt
- ½ tsp. finely ground peppercorn mélange
- ¾ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1¼ tsp. ground thyme
- ¾ tsp. ground cumin
- 1½ – 2 cups half & half cream
- Fat free milk
- Place water in the bottom pan of steamer and bring to a boil. Water must not touch the bottom of steamer basket.
- Cut about ½ inch from top and bottom of squash. With a potato peeler, remove all of the peeling. Cut the squash in half lengthwise. With a spoon, remove seeds and webs.
- Cut squash into ½ – ¾ inch cubes. Place squash in steamer basket over boiling water. Cover and steam 20 to 25 minutes or until fork tender.
- Reserve 2½ cups of the water in the bottom pan. To this add beef bouillon granules. Over medium heat, stir until fully dissolved.
- Return squash to the pan and with a hand blender, puree the squash. Then add butter, sea salt, peppercorn mélange, nutmeg, thyme, cumin and half & half. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. If soup is too thick, add a little fat free milk. Blend well.
- Serve in warmed cups or bowls with crackers of choice or seasoned croutons if desired.
WINTER VEGETABLE SOUP
- 1½ cups chopped and peeled winter squash
- 2 cups chopped and peeled potatoes
- ½ cups chopped celery
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp. snipped parsley
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 tsp. lemon peel
- ⅛ tsp. pepper
- 14.5-oz. can chicken broth
- 1¼ cups milk
- Combine squash, potatoes, garlic, celery, onion, mustard, parsley, lemon peel and pepper in a large saucepan. Stir in chicken broth.
- Bring to boiling. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Transfer about 2 cups to a blender container. Process until smooth.
- Return mix to saucepan. Stir in milk. Heat through. Season to taste.
GOURMET TOMATO SOUP
Yield: 3 quarts
- ½ c chopped onion
- 2 tbsp. butter or margarine
- 26-oz. can tomato soup
- 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes with Italian herbs
- 16 oz. cream cheese, softened and diced
- 1 qt. half & half
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. basil
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. salt
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Croutons (optional)
- Sauté onion in butter or margarine.
- Add soup, crushed tomatoes and cream cheese. Stir until lumps disappear.
- Add half & half and seasonings. Simmer 30 – 40 minutes.
- Top with Parmesan cheese and croutons, if desired. Soup may be frozen.