I want to try making some Creole recipes. Does anyone have some they’d like to share?
— Jackie from Middleville, Mich.
Send your own requests and recipes to The Recipe Exchange, PO Box 16, Addison, MI 49220 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Recipes of the Week: Rhubarb desserts
After she was married, Pat from Morenci received her recipe for Rhubarb Custard Cake from a friend’s mother. The cake has a great rhubarb flavor without being too strong.
Diane from Lake City says there are so many delicious desserts to make with rhubarb it was hard for her to decide which recipe to share. She chose her Rhubarb Dessert squares.
Shelly from Dundee sent in her recipe for Rhubarb Cake with Sauce. It is so good it doesn’t last long at her house.
For more recipes, please stop by my blog, Food, Fun & More.
RHUBARB CUSTARD CAKE
- 1 box yellow cake mix (not with pudding – generic is great)
- 4 cups rhubarb, cut up
- 1 c sugar
- 1 pint whipping cream
- Prepare cake mix as directed on box and pour into a 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Sprinkle rhubarb over top. Sprinkle sugar on top of rhubarb. Pour whipping cream over all. Do not mix.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes, until cake springs back when touched. Refrigerate leftovers.
RHUBARB DESSERT SQUARES
- 1 cup flour
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- ⅓ cup butter
- 1¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups rhubarb, chopped
- ¾ cups flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- ⅓ cup butter
- In a bowl, mix together flour and sugar.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender.
- Press mixture onto the bottom of an ungreased 9 inch square baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Combine all filling ingredients and pour evenly over baked crust.
- Mix together flour, sugar and cinnamon.
- Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling.
- Return to oven and bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 55 minutes. Topping will be lightly browned and rhubarb tender when done.
- Cool and cut into squares before serving.
RHUBARB CAKE WITH SAUCE
- ¼ c sugar
- 1½ c packed brown sugar
- ½ c butter, softened
- 1 t vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2½ c flour
- 1 t baking soda
- ½ t salt
- 1 c buttermilk
- 2 c chopped rhubarb
- ½ t cinnamon
- 2 T sugar
- 2 c rhubarb, chopped
- ⅔ c sugar
- 4 T water
- ¼ t cinnamon
- Grease and flour a 9 x 13 inch cake pan.
- Beat together 1/4 cup of sugar, brown sugar and butter. Add vanilla and egg, beating well.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to egg mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Spoon 2/3 of the batter into pan, spreading evenly. Sprinkle with rhubarb. Spoon remaining batter over top.
- Combine 2 tablespoons sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until cake tests done with a toothpick. Cool completely.
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, cook until rhubarb is tender. Cool and serve over cake.