Peach pecan pancakes
One of my all-time favorite foods growing up was pancakes. I loved them with blueberries, strawberries, or chocolate chips and whipped cream. Hey, I loved them plain with just butter. I wasn’t picky. My kids, on the other hand, are less than enthused when I put the typical pancake fare in front of them on a sleepy Sunday morning. So, rather than accept defeat and abandon my beloved breakfast beau, I’ve experimented with various varieties to appease those tiny tyrannical taste buds. To my astonishment, I’ve come up with an incredibly easy recipe which is not only popular among the pre-k and elementary aged, but a hit with the adults as well.
The recipe is simple enough to recreate, even before the morning pot of coffee has been brewed, and requires only a few ingredients which are likely already in your pantry. Step one: instant pancake mix. Yes, yes, yes. I know this feels like cheating, but hear me out: The ingredients in the pre-made mix are the exact same as the ones you’d be putting together from scratch but they’re already measured out and mixed. Plus, that box of Aunt Jemima’s is actually cheaper than buying the individual ingredients, which means it’s cheaper for you, especially if you’re not planning to use full packages of the ingredients for other recipes right away. Another important perk of mix over scratch: the instant stuff is QUICK which means fewer precious seconds ticking away on the hungry toddler time bomb.
Now that I have you on board with the instant pancake mix, let’s add some diced peaches from a can (no frozen here unless you want mushy pancakes!), and some crushed pecans to the batter. Plop about a tablespoon of butter in a warmed skillet and fry up some flapjack magic. Garnish with a dash of brown sugar and, in less than 30 minutes, you’re enjoying some of Georgia’s favorite flavors in a perfect little pancake that will rekindle your kids’ appreciation for this breakfast staple.
Georgia Peach and Pecan Pancakes
Prep Time: less than 10 min
Cook Time: approximately 20 minutes
Yield: 6-8 small pancakes
- 1 cup instant pancake mix (an off brand works fine but be sure it’s the “just add water” type)
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup canned diced peaches (remember to drain them before adding to the batter)
- ¼ cup crushed pecans
- Butter or margarine to grease the skillet
- Pinch of brown sugar to garnish
- Mix water and pancake mix
- Add peaches
- Add pecans
- Heat and grease skillet with butter or margarine
- Measure ¼ cup of pancake mix and place in skillet
- Cook until bubbles reach surface of pancake and burst, flip the pancake and allow other side to cook
- 7. Place on a plate and garnish with a pinch of brown sugar, add maple syrup if desired