A great California winemaker is paying a visit to northern Indiana next week. Clay Mauritson of Mauritson Winery will be at Temper Grille (1213 E. University Drive, Granger) for a wine dinner at 6 p.m. Tuesday, May 6.
The Dining A La King tour group in 2013 visited the Mauritson winery in Dry Creek Valley in Healdsburg, Calif. Since that time, a few of us were part of a wine club and have gotten to taste a lot more of the excellent wines.
Chef Sean Kelley will pair foods with the wines. Here’s the lineup:
- Reception: 2012 Mauritson Sauvignon Blanc, Dry Creek paired with artisan cheeses and peach tartlets
- First Course: 2012 Mauritson Chardonnay, Alexander Valley paired with poached pear and grilled watermelon salad
- Second Course: 2011 Rockpile Syrah, Madrone Spring Vineyard paired with coffee-rub smoked chicken thighs
- Third Course: 2012 Rockpile Zinfandel, Uncle’s Block and 2012 Rockpile Zinfandel, Jack’s Cabin paired with cioppino
- Fourth Course: 2011 Rockpile Petite Sirah, Madrone Spring Vineyard paired with braised short rib tacos
- Fifth Course: 2011 Rockpile Independence, Red Wine (Port) paired with caramelized figs and smoked blue cheese
The menu looks amazing, and I can vouch for the wine. I wish I could go, but as a journalist, I don’t think I can leave Election Night behind to go to a wine dinner. If you get there, let me know how it was.
Marshall V. King is managing editor and food columnist for The Elkhart Truth. You can reach him at 574-296-5805, firstname.lastname@example.org, on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.