There’s nothing better than taking a childhood-favorite comfort food and making it even more awesome than you remember. This take on Grilled Cheese is a 2.0 not only because it is a grown-up version of the classic white toast with American cheese sandwich, but also because it features two of my favorite ingredients: bacon and avocado. No, this sandwich isn’t for the health-conscious, vegans or vegetarians. But you can also have fun with this sandwich. Add a fried egg and make it for breakfast, or go with goat cheese, fresh tomato slices and basil for an Italian twist.
Grilled Cheese 2.0
- 4 slices of whole grain bread
- 4-5 slices of cheese (mozzarella, halloumi, scamorza will work)
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 2-3 slices of thick cut bacon
- 1-2 tbsp. butter for toasting the bread
- 1 tbsp. dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped fresh herbs (basil and parsley)
- Toast the bread
- Fry the halloumi on a grill or stove top with a bit of olive oil, just until it browns on the edges
- Fry the bacon until crispy
- Mix mayonnaise and dijon mustard with your freshly chopped herbs before smearing onto the toast.
- Prepare the sandwich by layering all the ingredients together and then warm it up in a pan to make sure it’s nice a melty