This recipe is based on a standard fried potato and egg scramble, but with a Greek twist added via feta cheese and fresh herbs. By frying up the potatoes on the stovetop instead of baking them, you save a fair amount of time. Then just throw in your eggs, veggies, herbs and cheeses and let it melt. The result is a quick and creative breakfast to mix up your morning routine.
Egg and Potato Scramble
Recipe modified from Pam Anderson, via Leite’s Culinaria.
- 5-6 little red potatoes, evenly chopped into about ½ pieces
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup of water
- ½ cup of feta cheese, or you can use mozzarella
- ¼ cup of onioin, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp. or more of fresh herbs (basil, sage, oregano, and parsley) finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. of olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Boil the water in a frying pan and add the finely chopped up potato. Cover and let simmer for a few minutes or until a bit tender.
- Salt and pepper the potatoes and add in a couple of the fresh herbs to add flavor.
- Flip the potatoes about three times to release them after the water has evaporated and add a little more olive oil. Cook potatoes for a few more minutes; or until they start browning.
- Whisk the egg, dried herbs, and salt, together and pour over potatoes.
- Let the eggs finish up and add the cheese on top and remove from the heat.
- The cheese will melt and you can sprinkle the freshly chopped herbs on to the dish.