This tasty carrot soup is quick and easy enough to whip up on any weeknight, perfect for sipping from a warm mug on a cozy night in. And after the winter we’ve just endured, who doesn’t need one of those? The soup can easily be made completely vegetarian or vegan – or not – depending on your preferences.
Chef’s note: Fresh basil, lemon or green onions make great garnishes if you have them; I used sliced green onions and a bit of soy sauce.
Creamy Carrot Soup
- 4 cups chicken stock
(substitute water or vegetable broth for vegetarian/vegan option)
- 2 cups almond milk
(milk or half and half could be used here if preferred)
- 5 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 large sweet onions, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. curry powder
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Simmer carrots with broth, sweet potato, onion and oil for about 15 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, curry powder, salt and pepper and simmer for another 5 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from heat and add the almond milk.
- Now let the blending begin! You can use an immersion blender or pour it into a regular blender; blend until smooth.
- Serve in bowls, garnished with your choice of fresh herbs.